Monday, March 16, 2009

Barnes Signs With Raiders


The Raiders were the early leaders in the race for Jaguars LT Khaliff Barnes, but then it appeared their interest had cooled. Well it has heated up again and the Raiders have inked the 5th year pro to a one-year deal. Financial terms were not released.

Barnes had been in contract talks with the Buccaneers but it was the promise of playing time in Oakland that sealed the deal. The Raiders have an opening at LT with Kwame Harris recently being released and Barnes has started ever since being a second-round choice of the Jaguars in in 2005 and was not willing to be a back-up.

"I think this is a great opportunity and place for me to start fresh," Barnes said. "I'm excited to be part of helping this franchise get back on top and I will have a shot to be the starter at left tackle and that's all I can ask for. I have a lot to prove and I'm betting on myself by agreeing to a one-year contract. [Raiders owner] Mr. [Al] Davis has a track record of taking care of his own guys and he promised me the same, if I take care of my business on and off the field."

No comments: